Code for San Francisco Fellowship Program
By Leo Sosa on June 26, 2018
The Code for San Francisco (C4SF) Fellowship Program seeks four (4) dev/Mission program graduates for a 6-month period to lead civic technology projects as part of the Code for San Francisco Brigade. The selected Fellows will each receive a $1000 stipend to help support their participation in the program. This is a unique opportunity for the Fellows to further develop both their technical and career communication skills with the support of C4SF Brigade members while working on a project with the potential to addresses real community needs in the city. At the end of the period, the Fellows will present their work to the C4SF Brigade.
About Code for San Francisco
Code for San Francisco is a group of people, first and foremost. We also call ourselves technologists, planners, designers, doers, thinkers, and activists. Each week, we actively work together to improve the City and County of San Francisco, often using technology to support our efforts. By connecting people, organizations, resources, tools, and networks to build for San Francisco, we will all thrive.
Code for San Francisco is a safe space for experimentation, learning and practicing skills, taking chances, and asking questions, all to affect and encourage positive change. Whenever possible, we proactively reach out to those who are left out, excluded, ignored, or discriminated against. Those people, in our opinion, represent our most desirable source for experiences, knowledge, and thoughts. We fail without their involvement.
Visit the Code for San Francisco website for more info: http://codeforsanfrancisco.org/
- Applicants to the C4SF Fellowship Program must be graduates of the dev/Mission program.
- Applicants must be able to commit to participating over a 6-month period, from August 2018 to January 2019, including regular attendance at the C4SF Weekly Civic Hack Night on Wednesdays from 6-9pm at C4SF HQ (155 9th St, San Francisco).
- Applicants should visit a C4SF Weekly Civic Hack Night on June 27, July 11, or July 18 to learn more about C4SF and the types of projects they work on.
- June 25 – Application submission period opens
- July 22 – Online applications due. Each applicant must submit an application that includes a brief written Project Pitch following the template below.
- July 25 – A C4SF and dev/Mission jury will review the submitted applications and select finalists to present and discuss their Project Pitch in person
- August 1 – Finalists will present and discuss their Project Pitch to the jury at C4SF HQ (155 9th St, San Francisco). While waiting to present, finalists can learn more about the C4SF Weekly Civic Hack Night that will be going on at the same time.
- August 1 – The C4SF and dev/Mission jury will announce the selection of two of the Project Pitch ideas for further exploration and development and the names of the four Fellows who will work on the projects in pairs.
Project Pitch Template
Problem Description: A brief 2-3 sentence description of what civic/social problem your application is solving.
Needs: Some initial thoughts on what kind of help would you like from the brigade; the more specific the better; skill sets can be listed here.
Related links: Some links to supporting info/articles/websites regarding the civic/social problem you are addressing, existing services (if available), data sources, etc
Project Pitch Example
Project Name: Adopt-a-Drain
Problem Description: Launched in October 2016, the Adopt a Drain Program enables San Francisco residents to “adopt” one of the City’s 25,000 storm drains, keeping it free of debris. While helping to reduce localized flooding, the program also fosters community engagement by encouraging San Franciscans to take an active role in improving their neighborhood.
Needs: User research / testing to identify enhancements that will increase user engagement; front-end (jQuery) clean-up and remodeling; accessibility improvements
- Repository: https://github.com/sfbrigade/adopt-a-drain
More Project Examples
Application Submission Form
Submit your application online: https://goo.gl/forms/akqw4j35bsBRBeOk1